Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Under pressure, but at least I'm making decisions!

Jaysus I have just under 7 weeks to go and everything is seeming very real. I am getting it on both sides now as my ma and the boyf's mum are asking me loads of questions and pushing me into the decision zone.

"Have you decided on the pushchair?"
"Well you see....."

"And the cot?"
"Mmmm, yes we are going to get one. Just don't know which one yet....."

"Steriliser?"
"I think I'm getting one of those Avent electric sterilisers for about forty quid and I'll get an electric breast pump too."
"Don't they have sterilising tablets anymore?" Cue tumbleweeds as I stare at her blankly.
"Is that something you put in the microwave?"
"Maybe they don't have those anymore....It might be more 1972...."
I of course snickered. "Well a lot of things have changed since then...." I added.

And the questions went on and on and on and on... They mean well but it's booming in like crunch time.

After all of the panic about the pushchair and reading countless reviews and testing and eliminating, I am back to my original first choice, the Quinny Buzz pushchair with Dreami Carrycot and a Mama's and Papa's Pilko Pramette . I'm leaning towards the Quinny but considering all of the pallava I have been through considering that it was my first choice, I will have one last test of the Pilko in the next couple of days. I budgeted for about £500 and the Quinny will be about £375 (It should be £469) and I might be able to get the Pilko for about £250 (RRP 300).

I have also decided on the car seat (Maxi Cosi Cabriofix) plus an Easybase so that we don't f*ck up the installation (all together should cost £170, will probably cost £144). I still have no clue about the cot, but that's my next task....

I have managed to make decisions about nursing bras (trusty Marks and Spencers), which are funny looking things, the baby carrier (Baby Bjorn Active Carrier) and have done at least half of the baby shower list. I set it up with My Registry which enables me to put the list together from lots of stores and people can mark what has been bought like a traditional registry list. I have lied to both of the mothers and said that I have done the guest list for the shower but I will get this done in the next few days as I need to send the invite, and to top everything off, I have put together a budget spreadsheet.

I feel tired just reading what I have typed....

5 comments:

Pregnant Bloke said...

Hah! You're doing the Quinny Pilko Carseat research for me, excellent. I shall claim it as all my own... Great blog; what the divil is a baby registry?

Delboys Daughter said...

Microwave sterilisers are handy when you're not very organised (ie me) and of course no chemicals.
I also used a normal solution bucket type because it was very handy to just keep everything sterilised in one place until i need it. Was almost handier than the microwave one because those loose sterilisation after a certain about of time so you are forced to get the bottles/whatevers out and seal them in the fridge promptly. But sterilisation only takes ten minutes whereas the chemical solution is half an hour. When you've got a screaming baby needing a feed and you realise at one am that all the bottles have been used in the fridge it makes a difference. Swings and roundabouts

Mummy M said...

With regard to sterilizing tablets I can thoroughly recommend them. I started using a Tommee Tippee microwave sterilizer and this was good but stuff only stays sterile for a while. Now we use Milton tablets in the (you can also use Tommee sterilizer for cold sterilization) and they are great as stuff stay sterile for 24 hours so you can do all your bottles once a day and they stay sterile till you need them.

Anonymous said...

aww honey try and relax, i know that sounds stupid given everything but just BREATH, and then go, then when you feel exhausted just BREATH again, then carry on. sounds ludacris but it helps! xxx

Ananda said...

hey sistalove soulmomma nml. just stopping through to show some love. keep flowing. peace and love, ananda