Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Maybe a routine isn't such a bad thing

I dragged myself into Soho today for lunch with the girls and followed it up with a two hour stint at the office doing my handovers for my clients and agencies. It was weird being back even though I've only been gone for two weeks and already I already feel so distant from the dramas of publishing. I have no desire to be a desperate housewife, but I've discovered that I'm not averse to not having to be at work every day. I am frickin knackered after dragging myself and the bump on the train and the tube and feel like I need an early night!

I spoke with a friend last night who told me about mutual friends who have been using The New Contented Little Baby Book. They have had great results and as well as having healthy, happy babies that sleep, they also have freedom in their lives. To be honest, I had read about a third of the book and then became nervous as everything seemed so overwhelming - routine feeds, waking, putting down for a nap and I just don't think my mush brain could cope with it at that point. But I spent some time with a good friend and her 2 month old and much as I adore him, he needs to be held a hell of a lot, including when he's napping and is won't sleep in his cot and sleeps during the day but not at night. It suddenly occured to me that having a go at following the routines in the book wasn't such a bad idea because the thought of breast all day long made me feel tired before I've even started!

The other reason is that I will be monitored closesly for the few months after the birth due to my previous battles with sarcoidosis. Your immune system takes a big dip about two or three months after the birth and I have an immune system disease, albeit in remission. My plan is to continue my acupuncture and to do my best to maintain my immune system but that could all go tits up if I'm sleep depraved and not eating properly, and I need to be as fit and able as I can be for the bambino. I don't want to be sick again, especially when the bambino will need me most, so whilst it's never plain sailing with any newborn, trying to establish good routines for us both from as early as possible sounds like a damn good idea.

I found myself buying vests and mittens for the bambino in John Lewis and decided to give in a buy nipple cream and was horrified to discover that it the best part of £10! Flipping daylight robbery! I'm telling you right now - I better not feel so much as a frigging twinge in my nipples!

The health visitor came to visit me at the flat today. I had no idea that they come around and introduce themselves whilst overloading your brain with information. Apparently your not supposed to use fleece blankets or the sheepskin covers that go on pushchairs and prams until babies are a year old due to overheating. That's two items to come off the baby shower list...

I've got my NCT (National Childbirth Trust) antenal class tomorrow. These are private classes that you shell out for, as opposed to the NHS ones that you get for free. It's a 2 day intensive course - 5 hours tomorrow and another 5 hours next week. The boyf is in Israel for the first one, so his mum is coming with me. I wisecracked to her that people may think that we're a couple. It was only while we were laughing that I realised that I had just cracked a lesbian joke at his mum.... Hmmmm....

6 comments:

Stephen A. Bess said...

Look at me smiling like a proud uncle and all I know about you is what you write. :)
I don't care I'm still happy for you. God bless.

Vixen said...

Goodness gracious, the days are flying by fast. I hope the heat abates...so you can enjoy your last few weeks without boiling.

Anonymous said...

Shame that I missed you when you were in the city - I would have come and said hello. Hope you're still and taking it easy and watching stupid amounts of Jeremy Kyle (if you want reminding of similar drama levels of the office *sigh*)

Anonymous said...

Hey just passing, congrats on the pregnancy.. :D

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited for you!!!! i can't actually think of anything to say other than that!
xxx Rachel xxx

Ananda said...

wow. this motherhood journey is incredible. keep flowing. peace and love, ananda