Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Size Does Matter and Baby Shower

I am finally getting some time to myself after a crazy few days of running around like a blue arsed fly. I am officially on maternity leave since Friday which you thought would have signalled a bit of resting, but I spent Thursday at home typing my handover notes like a maniac, Friday at the hospital (more on that in a moment), then at work for my leaving lunch with the team, then I met up with one of my closest friends for a few hours. Saturday was running errands for the baby shower and Sunday was the craziness that was the baby shower. It's taken until today to get over the tiredness!

On Friday I had a consultants appointment at the hospital and she decided to book me for a scan (I had it this morning) as she thought the baby might be a 'little bit small'. This is the second time that someone has suggested this although the first time they didn't scan me and instead sent me to the obstraetrician who pretty much said that my midwife had been talking out of her backside. It seems that it's the same thing this time around, except for this time the scan confirmed it. I know they're only doing their jobs and being cautious, but it doesn't stop me from cacking myself in fright each time (not literally)! It was great to see the baby again and I can't get over how much she has grown! And after all of the comments about boys coming out when people have been told that it's a girl, I have had it definitely confirmed that it's a girl. Ha! The bro will be gutted as I'm sure he had a bet on for a boy!

It was actually quite sad to leave behind my peeps at work on Friday. I was incredibly touched by the card and plus I got vouchers for Gap (God I love that store!). As I read leaving messages from my colleagues, I felt myself well up... Hormone alert! I have to say though, I am loving having my life to myself. I certainly don't miss getting up for work or worrying about how many ads there are in the magazine I work for.

I had a fantastic time at the baby shower. The weather was beautiful which meant that we could have a barbeque and people were clammering to get at the great food prepared by my mum, the boyf's mum and a few friends. I hadn't realised that so many of our friends are jerk chicken mad! My ma decided that instead of playing the grandmother to be role, that she'd have a hot date instead which had hilarious, if not cringey moments! We got lovely gifts (we haven't even got them all yet as some people ordered online) but highlights include a bouncing baby cradle (right), Tommee Tippee nappy wrapper, height chart, funky potty (left), bath support and cuddle robes from Mamas and Papas, lots of beautiful clothing, organic cosmetics for the bambino, froggy bath storage (pictured at top) bath mobile, and someone brought us shedloads of nappies which is so handy! I felt incredibly blessed to have many of our nearest and dearest all together and I will remember Sunday for a very long time. The bambino is very popular and she's not even out yet!
After I left the hospital this morning, I popped into TK Maxx. This used to be a favourite of mine as I can spend ages scouring for designer bargains, but admittedly I haven't done it for ages. This morning it paid off as I finally got a baby changing bag. It's a Samsonite bag and it would normally retail for £85 but I got it for £15. Result! It has a changing mat and bottle warmer and lots of handy pockets. There are few ways that it can be carried and it includes to straps to attach it to the handle of the pram. I also left with a pair of Tommy Hilfiger sunglasses £15 instead of £85 and an Osprey wallet/purse £12 instead of £85. A morning well spent....

2 comments:

Emily said...

yay for baby showers! glad it went well and you got lots of nice things for the baby :)

also glad to hear that everything's fine with the baby and she's definitely a 'she'! I know someone who was told they were having a girl, so everything they had was pink, and lo and behold... no, it was a boy! you're lucky to have had the scan the other day, if only for that reason! :D

all the best for everything, I'm sure she'll be perfect! :)

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)